Friday, October 31, 2008

Entropy

For those few (!) out there that didn't study third-year thermodynamics, and have no idea what entropy is, it is basically the disorder in a system. The second law of thermodynamics is an expression of how entropy works - that unless there is an input of energy (from some external source), entropy (disorder) will increase until it reaches maximum disarray!



This is a Law of science (not a theory) and you can't work against it. The cells in our bodies replicate millions of time in our lifetime but each time it does there is some disorder added, until eventually there not enough order left for the cell to do it's job properly; once salt has been dissolved the only way to get it back is to add a lot of heat and evaporate all the water; two objects of different temperature put together will come to some temperature between the first two (i.e. heat/energy will not flow from the cold object to the warm object); left to it's own devices a house will get messy and dusty, stockings will run etc etc etc. The only thing that you can do is work out how much energy you need to add to counterbalance the rate that disorder increases.



Until Alex was born, we had worked out how much energy we needed to counter the "entropy" that was in our house. Once he was born that energy needed to go up but it was still manageable. Since he has been mobile however the effort involved to combat the disorder in our house has magnified. In fact, I suspect that Alex is not actually on our side in our battle against entropy, but is instead involved in what one friend and I call asymmetric warfare against us.



Just this afternoon and evening he has managed to land a trail of destruction through every room of the house - I accidentally left the doors open to two rooms that he is not allowed into. He must have seen the slight gap when I had my back turned and he seized the moment. He managed to empty three drawers from the bathroom, one from the study (the floor is covered with pencils and envelopes) and get into the cupboard in the en suite. The encore this evening of breaking two plates (melamine at that) by throwing them on the floor with dinner on them! I suspect, whoever decides the medals for entropy will be giving him a meritorious award for his efforts tonight!

3 comments:

Catherine said...

Ha! I have to laugh - the word below that I have to give for verification is "victry" - I think Alex had something to do with it -- he has even found his way into your blog, and so early on!

Glad to see you in this fun cyberworld, Katherine. I look forward to seeing if you can waste more time on your blog than me, and I look forward to peering in on your life, too!

evonne said...

Hi Katherine,
Hurray! You have joined the time-wasting world of bloggers! Another blog to read-and find out about your life's happenings.I anticipate great things-especially from a blog with such a fantastic title!

Evonne Y.

Bethany said...

Hey Katherine,

Just wanted to say hi and welcome you into the blogosphere. Looking forward to reading more posts.

Bethany