Friday, October 31, 2008

The time has come

I have finally succumbed to the lure of the blog. For months I have been enjoying a strange, voyeuristic delight in peering into other peoples lives through their blog. It did, however, seem rather one-sided - here was I, knowing so much about their lives (albeit that which they were happy to publish for all the world to see) and I was just "Anonymous", perhaps someone they hardly knew. So I decided to rectify the situation.

I actually decided to start a blog about two months ago but it took me that long to come up with a name - and I suspect that I will not be asking for a birth certificate just yet, it case I change my mind! The phrase "cabbages and kings" comes from the Lewis Carroll poem "The Walrus and the Carpenter" (found here http://www.jabberwocky.com/carroll/walrus.html for those that want to read the in context) which my grandmother used to quote. This idea appeals on a number of levels; Lewis Carroll was a mathematician who wrote satirical nonsense, and the concept of blogging strikes me as the sort of "talk of many things" with the ordinariness of life (cabbages) and occasionally talking about the grander things of life (Kings.) Somehow I suspect that any sporadic blogging that I perform will be more of the nature of cabbages than kings!

So Hello, It's nice to meet you. We must catch up soon

No comments: